Tuesday 5 June 2012

The Pelican, Paignton

Sometimes you find a little gem of an eatery which just cries out to be shared. The Pelican on the harbour in Paignton, Devon is just one of these places. From the outside it just looks like any other fish and chip shop and when you enter it still seems the same. However dont judge this place by the outward appearance.  Nothing really to write home about that is until you taste the food.



This small family run resturant delivers fish so fresh I was surprised it wasn't still flapping about on the plate. I chose the haddock fillet (£5.95) which I must say was worth every penny. The batter was so thin and crispy it was almost Temupra in style and unlike many places I have visited it complemented the fish rather than overpowering it. The haddock was skinned and boned perfectly and given the chance I think I would have just ordered a plate of fish. Had I done this however would have meant missing out on some sublime hand cut twice cooked chips.

As a lover of all things pomme de tare I have to say these were excellent! I'm not sure the photograph really does this meal justice but I am posting it anyway for your delectation dear reader.

Clearly this is never going to be classed as fine dining, and nor should it be. This is fish and chips of the highest order. The mushy peas were home made and tasted so, not too salty. The only drawback to a wonderful lunch? A salad dressing on the plate. What's that all about? In my opinion unnecessary and really out of place.

If you find yourself visiting the English Riviera take a trip down to the harbour in Paignton and check out the Pelican. If you are in a hurry they do take away as well.

Score - 3T's

Pelican Cafe
61 Roundham Road
Roundham-with-Hyde
Paignton
Devon
TQ4 6DS

t: 01803 554983

No comments:

Post a Comment